As I read yet another article today about the “myth” of cougar women I became intensely angry at what was clearly a male chauvinistic piece that was so laden with stereotypes it wasn’t funny at all. So the article I am referring to is here: FOX NEWS – Cougar Trend Women Chasing Younger Men Myth. Now, I’m not sure if it is the fact that someone wrote it or that FOX News decided it was newsworthy that upsets me more. Anyway, the number of so-called myths that are out there and that frankly need to be debunked amazes me. With that said I truly hope to get to women in their 40’s out there and get them to stand up for themselves. So hear are 10 reasons to stand up and roar:
- Stop calling me a freak! Please, I am a completely normal person that is just like every other woman that you run into every day at the office, the grocery store, and the gym. I happen to prefer to date men that are a bit younger than me, that does NOT make me a freak in any way. I mean seriously???
- Stop saying I don’t like sex! This is such a ridiculous myth that I don’t even know where to begin to address it. Some women (granted not all) are perfectly fine with and enjoy sex. Now, we don’t necessarily want it 1/10th as much as a man (average 3 times per week), but we do just fine. If you need more proof here is a GOOD article speaking directly to that: TIME MAGIZINE – The Science of Cougar Sex: Why Older Women Lust.
- Stop saying I need an older man to take care of me! Okay this was in the FOX News article and I have to tell you that when a woman turns 40, her natural instinct isn’t necessarily that she needs to find a sugar daddy. Could it not be possible that we are financially independent ourselves?
- Stop saying I don’t like clubs, parties, and fun! I mean this is just ridiculous too! I would say that older men are more likely to not like clubs, dancing, and more than women in their 40’s. I mean I can party with the best of them when I choose to and I will… so back off!
- Stop saying I am robbing the cradle! Okay, I am talking about dating men in their mid 20’s to mid 30’s. These men are not children at all and therefore I am not robbing the cradle nor would I EVER think of doing that. These are strong men comfortable with themselves and not as fragile as the World makes them out to be. In fact, FAR FROM IT!
- Stop referring to the men I date as “boy toys!” I just really, really hate that slang. There is nothing toy-like about the men that I date and I certainly don’t treat them like toys. It’s just a terrible representation that fuels this whole robbing the cradle myth and it needs to go.
- Stop applauding men that do the same thing! I am so, so tired of hearing that men dating younger women is simply evolution and that they can’t control themselves because nature dictates they find fertile women to spread their seeds. Okay, just stop it already! I am fine with men dating younger women and just would like the same consideration.
- Stop telling me to fight MY natural urges! So along the lines of the TIME magazine article, I didn’t really start to enjoy or want sex until my mid 30’s. I have no real idea why this is the case, but it just is the case. I was actually quite content with building my career and frankly didn’t need a man when I was younger.
- Stop labeling women as sexist that just want equality! Okay slightly unrelated topic but one that has bothered me for years. Just because I want to be paid the same as a man for the same work does not make me a women’s lib sexist that hates men. Quite to the contrary, I just want the same treatment including the right to love the men I love (younger or older).
- Stop sending me hate emails! Shockingly since I started this site I have received quite a bit of hate email and I don’t get that at all and certainly was not expecting it to this extent. If it continues, I will start publishing them on the site and responding to you jerks out there publicly! I will NOT back down!
Look, just because I run a cougar women dating site, does not make me a freak of nature. In fact, as a mature women that loves men of ALL ages (that happens to date younger men most of the time), it makes perfect sense for me to have a true cougar women dating site. I am the voice of the cougar and I want you to hear me ROAR!