When you are going out with a person for the first time, you’ll want to keep your conversation light. It is your opportunity to begin to get to know each other. The key word there being, ‘begin’. Don’t feel like you need to reveal everything about yourself on that first date, or to find out everything about the other person. Here are ten topics that definitely should NOT be brought up on your first date.
- Your old girlfriends/boyfriends. The other person does not want to hear you spend the evening talking about other women or men, and especially those that you’ve had relationships with.
- Your last bout with the stomach flu. As traumatic as the experience may have been for you, keep it to yourself for now. There may be some point further along in the relationship where the person may listen to those details with a sympathetic ear, but it’s not likely they will be ready for that on your very first date.
- Your pending bankruptcy. Regardless of the circumstance, the term bankruptcy still has a stigma attached to it. This could easily be interpreted as a plea for sympathy, which is not a positive start of a relationship.
- Family records of mental illness. Most every family has some form of mental illness in their midst, or in the past. However, this can be a sensitive topic for many people and is not appropriate for a first date.
- Outstanding warrants for your arrest. Honesty is a wonderful thing, however, sharing with your date that you are wanted by law enforcement may put an early end to your evening.
- Your parent’s sex life. Sex in general is not suggested as a proper topic for a first date. Discussion of your parent’s sex life should only be brought up if you are desperate to make sure the relationship does not continue.
- How much money you make. Both debts and income should be off-limit topics for that first date. It is bound to make your date uncomfortable, regardless of whether you are sharing about your income or asking about theirs.
- STD’s. This is another health issue that is usually necessary or desired as a topic for a first date, regardless of whether it is a general topic of discussion or relates to you personally. Unless there is a definite ‘need to know’ situation, leave this topic for further on in the relationship.
- Serial killers. Guys, serial killers and rapists, are not good topic choices for your first date. Women do not like to be reminded about the possibilities, and it may cause them to look upon your every move with suspicion.
- Your grade point average in high school. This is a bit tacky and gives a message of big insecurities on your part. If you’re out of high school, nobody really cares anymore. Find a more current top to bring up.
Talk about your hobbies, your job, school, sports, movies… there are plenty of great topics to bring up. Stay away from this list of ten bad ones. If the relationship continues to develop, you will certainly move on to more personal subjects.